“Bob! Tall white soy mocha with no whipped cream for Bob!” the barista called out. As I walked to the counter and picked up my drink, a girl waiting for her order took one look at me and smiled. I smiled back sheepishly. I had taken to giving my name as “Bob” at restaurants and cafés that felt that knowing their customer’s name made service more personalized. It’s not that I am ashamed of my name. It saved me the trouble of having to spell out Kothandaraman each time and them the embarrassment of butchering my name. At my regular haunt downtown they just call out my drink, but I guess it wasn’t the smartest move to assume they would do the same here. I slink back to my table, thankful for The Times and bury my head in an article about Rahm Emmanuel. Just as I learn that Rahm’s brother Ari is a Hollywood heavyweight, the phone vibrates indicating I received a text. “About 5 minutes away” it said, “just getting gas.”
It was a similar vibration that had brought me to this suburban Starbucks. As a 27 year old single Indian straight male I was beginning to suffer from a common affliction, giving-in-to-your-parents-wishes-itis. The symptoms were fairly easy to spot – I was tired of coming home to an empty apartment, the channa masala that tasted divine after the third experimental trial in grad school just didn’t cut it any more and watching the end of When Harry met Sally actually left me with a lump in my throat. It wasn’t by choice that the apartment was empty though. I’d been on my share of dates and sowed the occasional wild oat but it had become increasingly clear why birds of a feather flocked together. I had no explanations for Susan when she asked why I would rather go watch a movie where a middle aged cop romanced a young divorcee in song and dance while hunting possibly homosexual serial killers than come to her sister’s daughter’s bat-mitzvah. Elle couldn’t wrap her mind around the idea that I could listen to some dude called Sikkil Gurucharan elaborate on a single letter, aaaa, for 15 minutes straight and term it delightful music. It was a cop out, but I had decided that it might be easier to convince a ThirunelvEli girl to shop at Victoria’s Secret. But my ever-enterprising parents had a middle of the road solution. Apparently they knew a single ThirunelvEli girl who lived within a 50 mile radius who did shop at Victoria’s Secret – Ok I’m exaggerating that isn’t exactly what they said in the phone call that brought me to the café. (Boy would that have been an awkward conversation) So I gave Priya a call and set a date, today, to grab a cup of coffee. And now I wait as she fills up her car.
When she walks in 20 minutes past our set time, I still have my head buried in the Times. I jump a little when she taps my shoulder but recover when I remembered the picture I had on my Gtalk profile. We exchange the usual pleasantries, bash our respective bosses in moderation and talk about how opportune it is that gas prices fall during elections. The election being recent and fresh in our minds we dwell a little. “I’m so glad we could finally erase the race barrier. Electing Obama is a big step. Do you realize Bobby Jindal might actually have a shot at being president?” she says. I nod in agreement. “Not politically inclined?” she asks sensing a lack of interest. “No I’m just a good listener” I deflect. She smiles and continues, “I don’t think we should bail out the auto manufacturers in Detroit.” “We?” I say. “Well I mean the U.S. Government. What kind of free market economy socializes banks and then bails out its industries? They ought to die their rightful death if you ask me” she opines. I continue smiling and nodding. “Still being a good listener?” she jibes. “OK I won’t drone on, lets talk about something else. I just saw Burn after Reading. The Coens are hilarious, right? What was the last movie you saw?”. “Devar Magan” I say. “It has been so long since I saw a Tamil movie you know, very little access around here. You probably have Indian stores close to your place huh?” she says. “Nope I own a pirated copy; I can send you a link for an online version if you’re interested” I offer. “Sure. But I doubt if I’ll get time to watch it. Anyway I prefer watching movies on the big screen. What kind of music do you listen to, mostly Indian film?” she assumes. I don’t feel the need to go over how I had played Dark Side of the moon in concurrence with the Wizard of Oz to verify the legend or how I had shelled out a large amount of money to see Radiohead live just a few weeks ago. “Yup!” I confirm and the conversation swings into shutdown mode. We go through the usual lets-stay-in-touch-but-not-really motions and she gets up to leave. As I get into my car my phone vibrates again. This time it’s my parents. “Enna aachchu” its says in English alphabet. I control my urge to diffuse a serious conversation by replying “kozhanthai azhuthuthu. Please buy Woodwards Grape Water”. I don’t know whether to laugh or get mad at how involved they are in this process. I begin to type “I think she is a little too Americanized Maa…
Every once in a while, I let the only live concert CD I've ever listened to -- Simon & Garfunkel in NY, 1967 -- do the rounds on my car stereo. Did that a couple days back and wound up reading this post, a little after. Track #8 on that CD is what Arty Garfunkel calls "our favorite song in this album" -- Dangling Conversation. It's what your post is a summary of, in story form - Loved it!
ReplyDeleteIf you experience something familiar and it seems like it is from your past, you call it deja vu. What is it called when you read something and feel like "this could happen to you"? ESP?
ReplyDeleteLol, good luck.
muhahahaha...hilarious!
ReplyDeleteall the best!
I know a lot of ladeej who fall into this category, is it just us or am I reading all such blogs only!
ReplyDeleteread the whole lot. good mindscape.
ReplyDeletemore, please.
ReplyDeleteQuite the response. Thanks everyone for visiting and commenting. First a disclaimer, The tale is entirely fictional and definitely not an indictment of the woman in the story. If anything it is just a reflection of the protagonist's duality.
ReplyDeleteSimon Says: I guess it would have been pretty freaky if Frost or Dickinson made an appearance in the story huh? :)
Gradwolf: The story might have struck a chord because we share a little something in common in terms of alma mater's attended :). Good luck-a? Why?
buddy: One more all the best. For what? And one man's dilemma is another's hilarity. Schadenfreude anyone :).
max: As I said before, the story wasn't meant as an indictment of the "ladeej" you mention. After all who am I to tell the ladies what to be. But yes, there may be a few who've added a veneer of superficiality to their demeanor.
Anon1: Thank you for that. Now I wont have to fire my "interior" decorator :) .
Anon2(Oliver Twist?): Greed! My favorite sin :) . I shall try to comply.
yes yes, I figured that out, a bit late.
ReplyDeleteOh that would have been pretty freaky, but only if I wasn't -- by virtue of being a permanent resident of Planet Freakdom (its Presiding Deity on your BlogRoll? Interesting.) -- pre-conditioned.
ReplyDeleteAnd besides, I've always felt Frost and Dickinson are the dual (duel?) forces ruling (ruining?) my psyche on a daily basis. ("The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep..." vs. "..the mere sense of living is joy enough"; let go, keep moving vs. hold on, keep ruing.) So I do *expect* to see them in action everywhere, everyday.
P.S: (Oh yes, the "no p.s" rule continues to be your unique prerogative. Why? Because boys are supposed to have better bladder control or something like that.)
ReplyDeleteWhile Kothandaraman's conundrum is indeed classic, what I meant to add, as an afterthought, is a note related to the "classic" conundrum that assails his author. Being a fellow "late bloomer," as far as catching up on classics go, I've found that this daily digital dispatch doles them out in easily consumable chunks. Too bad I only knew about the site from the weekend paper, so all I can boast of, so far, is having plowed thru three wonderful chapters of Sons and Lovers. Mrs. Morel, here I come, for more...
(Took creative license to write this prelude to the post -- to posit a few thoughts on what possibly preoccupied Priya during that 20-minute delay. Happy readin'!)
ReplyDeleteKonkona. Konkona Kalyanaraman. Yup. Mom's a rabid Aparna Sen fan and the moment she found out her idol had a baby girl named Konkona, she was hell bent on naming her daughter that, if God gave her one, that is. Don't know if God did or not -- I mean, sure, I'd like to believe that I too am a made-for-glory product of Immaculate Conception; why the hell not, right? -- but if my
birth records are anything to go by, turns out that dad did...three years later. And, God bless him, he woudn't hear of Konkona.
Are you out of your mind, he said to mum. We're in Tirunelveli, for pete's sake, not Tiruvanmiyur. I won't have the neighbourhood kids go "Oranna, rendanna, Konkanna" when they play with my little girl. We're calling her Priya, and that's that.
When the teacher took rollcall on my first day at school, in kindergarten, is when I actually found out who wore the pants in my house. "Konkona Kalyanaraman?" "Yes Miss." Of course, the tradeoff was that no one ever used that name around the house. All my
relatives, especially the paternal side that I'm really tight with, only knew me as Priya.
And now, mom wants me to settle down with a chamathu Madras paiyen. Thanks to dad, I'd always had my way with picking my college, clothes, and (ah! my) California. But now that he's gone, mom's all I've got, and I've got to make her happy. But somewhere along the way, I've got to make me happy too, and am not terribly sure right now if meeting Mr.Kothandaraman at Starbucks is the right way to go about it. Didn't Jack Gilbert once say that the only thing better than being alone is being seriously in love? I know Starbucks has got out all their holiday banners and music that go "Love is in the air," but what I'm worried about is if that air will sneak right past my gatekeeping head and let the insides of my heart breathe, in the next...OMG, I'm already one minute late. Shit. Never mind. Let him wait. I'll TM him. Tell him I'm filling gas or something and will be over in 5 minutes. There. I feel like a quick stop at the library to clear my head. I said five, but this is gonna take 10...who cares.
Let me see if they've got that JTull Dotcom album that someone else had reserved the last time I looked. If they do, then I'll take it as a sign. That Kothandaraman has a fighting chance. If not, well...I'll just bolt. Gee, the underwire on the new bra is eating into my flesh. Maybe they've started selling spurious stuff on eBay under the Victoria's Secret label. Maybe I should've accompanied Rani to Valley Fair last week for the Black Friday door buster bra-sale. But I hate the Mall. I hate 'em all. I hate
shopping, chatting, chattering...how hard is it for folks to just leave me alone? And now mom...
Focus Priya, focus. Yesss...there it is. I can't believe my luck. Disembodied bytes of audio-file download/listen later, to actually hold what feels like a living breathing entity...Dang, the jewel case is broken...love the curious-looking sphinx-like creature on the jacket art...let me take it to the counter and declare it, won't do the auto-checkout, so the bozos don't fine me for damaging the case when I turn it in. But that'll take all of five minutes, and I'm already 10 minutes late, oh WTF. Let him wait.
Wait...Excuse me, can I have the CD you just put back on the shelf, from the return cart? No, not that one, the white one. Yes, thanks. Radiohead. OK Computer. Interesting. Hmmm...the booklet smells relatively new for a from '97 CD. Hey, there's a pic of Christ the Redeemer on page 2. That's a sign, for sure. And track #11 is actually called "Lucky" -- must check it out. Ah, better run now...
Almost there. Jeez, it's 19 minutes past...whatever! Now don't tell him about the library stop. Stick to what you said on the TM.
Make up some story about how a five-minute stop got protracted coz of the recent plunge in gas prices causing everyone and their
mother making a beeline for gas stations. And don't mention that Radiohead CD. Infact, pretend you've never heard of Radiohead,
even if he brings it up.
And definitely don't tell him you spent 4 years of hostel life holed up in your room, scribbling stories and poems filling seven journals that all got drowned during a particularly violent monsoon, when a cyclone came and flooded your parents' home. (Or that AMA conference you attended in SFO, with co-workers; while everyone else hit the city bars, once the conference wound down, you told them you were going up to your room to rest, but instead walked over to the Metreon and caught Sin City, yeah that Frank Miller movie, all alone. Or the fact that you, more often than not, feel like the computer is your best friend, and the world wide Web, your soul (sole?) mate!) You want to make him feel like a loser, not the other way around. Oh what's all this inner-advice/self-talk shit? Some surefire cure for I-just-feel-like-being-nice-itis? No. Whatever. I hate this. I'm gonna turn back, go to the car and read that 1985 Lorrie Moore article, for comfort. Can't believe I printed it out at work yesterday and just left it lying there on the back seat. I really felt like reading it last night but it was too friggin' cold to go out to the car and get it...OK, wasn't all that cold but I normally feel naked walking out in my jammies and was too lazy to change (boggles my mind how all those mamis in Madras go buy vegetables early in the morning,
wearing just their nighties (minus tighty-whities)!). God, why do I have to actually converse with a stranger in Starbucks? Can't I simply sit across from him and watch the steam arising from his styrofoam cup, while he babbles away? But that might just cause him to like my active-listening self...No, can't risk that. Or worse still, I might end up liking him if something interesting were to slip out of his mouth. No. Arrgh! there's not time. Something tells me I can't go wrong if I started Session Sabotage by, well, touching him (shoulder, head, cheek, somewhere) the moment I lay eyes on him. Yes, that should surely make him jump. (Such a forward freak from totally backward Tirunelveli...I'd better be wary. God knows how many men she's slept with.). Oh yeah, premarital sex. That prerogative of Madras males. Don't they all like them wives virgins from down south, WTF! Ah, there he is, pretending to bury his head in some hi-falutin' paper. Now, don't you fall for that!
Gradwolf: Better late than never.
ReplyDeleteSimon/Konkona: Thanks.
Your blog should date vadaposrche.blogspot.com
ReplyDelete