WARNING: Ramblings at the risk of reductionist absurdity.
Maybe I'm a little acrophobic. Or is it all the wind at this elevation? Either way, I am standing on my heel edge at the precipice of a snowclad mountain and I'm a little afraid. Ok, I m very afraid. But there is this strange sense of freedom. A freedom that comes from doing something in spite of the knowledgethat it may cause irreparable body harm. A freedom that comes from the lack of routinely taking the safest bet. The freedom of change - mixing it up a little. Why cant every day bring a new experience?
Maybe I have early onset Alzheimers. Or did it plop out of my ear when I was driving with the top down on the PCH? Man if I dont find that blasted bluetooth head set, its a perfectly well spent 50 quid down the drain. Wait, did it fall in to the drain when I was in the bathroom? What the hell is wrong with me. I know I'm short-term-memory challenged. Why cant I just pick a place and store my phone and receiver there everytime? I'm supposed to be able to stick to a routine.
"Do you believe in the existence of god?". It seems there are only 2 possible answers to this question and all of humanity belongs to one tribe or another depending on their answer (Agnostics are bench players, they dont count). Everyone focuses on the "god" portion of the sentence and forgets that there is someone else in that sentence that is more important, "you". The believer is in a rush to uphold his/her belief and the non-believer is in just as much of a rush to denounce it. But what they both miss is that their answers are conditioned responses. Conditioned to the point of reflex. Reflexes that force us to conform. And in conformity we learn less and less about ourselves. The internal dichotomy, much like the need for both routine and change (do the first 2 idiotic paragraphs make sense now?), is necessary for personal growth.
A wise man once said, and I paraphrase, "That there is a God is a lie. That there isn't a god is an even bigger lie". And yet humanity fights over the answer to a rhetorical question. I would be laughing at the irony, if I weren't depressed beyond belief.
I'm not sure I understand your point here. I do get your conformity-non-conformity part, but I'm not sure how that fits in to your "Do you believe in God?" question. Are you saying the answer to that question is just reflex?
ReplyDeleteQuite the opposite actually. I'm saying responding to that question is basically a self-reinforcement through the informing of others that you are conforming to one group or the other. I am saying that the question is more important than the answer.
ReplyDelete"Conditioned to the point of reflex" was just a semantic tool to express how immediate and vehement the response to the question is sometimes.
Romba Kozhappureno ?